The fruit of Jamun (scientific name: Syzygium cumini), which is also known as jambul, Java plum, black plum, jamblang, or jambolan is indigo blue in color and has a very sweet taste when it fully ripens. The fruit is pear-shaped and the soft flesh inside has an astringent flavor, which you will love if you like sour things. The Jamun tree is considered sacred in some parts of India and the fruits are believed to have medicinal properties. It is mostly used in making dried-up powder and pickles. The fruit is also known as a natural remedy for various kinds of diseases.
Jamun is a healthy and nutritious fruit that’s packed with a variety of nutrients. It’s a rich source of antioxidants, calcium, phosphorus, vitamins A and C, and a good amount of dietary fiber.
Health benefits of Java Plum/ black plum:
- It improves your digestive health.
- It may also decrease high blood pressure and protect your cardiovascular system from disease by reducing cholesterol levels and improving circulation.
- It also has high amounts of iron and can act as a natural cleanser.
- Jamun can help fight against conditions like constipation and diarrhea, as it helps balance stomach pH and is a laxative food.
- The nutrients in Jamun make it a valuable addition to any weight loss diet plan.
- It can help lower blood sugar and improve insulin resistance, which may be very useful for people with diabetes.
Jamun fruit powder is made from 100% pure and natural Jamun fruit that’s been harvested at its peak ripeness, sun-dried, and finely milled into a fine powder. Sprinkle it on cereal or yogurt for added nutritional benefit.
Eating Jamun along with seeds can also help in controlling diabetes. Jamun can be used as a tonic for relieving biliousness, fevers, and sore throat. Jamun is also known to control blood sugar levels.
The fruit is eaten mainly as unripe green fruit, or the seeds may be eaten after they ripen. Jamun seed powder is used in herbal medicine as a treatment for diabetes mellitus and helps in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.